When I was the junior high pastor, I noticed one thing... 4th & 5th graders were wanting to come to my junior high services. I remember seating there and thinking about what was going on that made these kids want to come to me? Then it hit me! I was offering something that they're kids church wasn't offering to them. But before I let them in my group, I had several parents come to me, asking if their child could come and join my junior high group. It became a "BIG CONCERN", not just to me but to our senior pastor too. Now that I'm the kids pastor, my goal is to reach this age particular group. So here are some pointers or some ideas that you can use.
- Target your older group. See what they are up to. Build a relationship with them.
- Music. Play music that suits them too. No 4th or 5th grader wants to come in to an environment that is playing "If Your Happy and You Know It". During our worship we play groups like Hillsong United, Young & Free, Planetshakers and Jesus Culture. Play music that they listen to.
- Use them! I like to use my older kids for video announcements, powerpoint, propresenter, sound system, cafe' and more. They want to feel important. Give them responsibilities.
- Media Usage. Use videos or movie clips that relate to the older kids. Even the little ones will engage.
- Up-to-Date. They will be the ones that will keep to up-to-date with the latest fashions, media, music and technology. I like to ask the older kids all the time what the latest things are.